Would you believe if we say that flow of tears helps eyes to provide good vision by maintaining moisture content and lubrication? Yes, the very combination of water, oil, mucus and antibodies & proteins in tears render the special function of moisturizing, lubrication, uniform spreading, and infection resistance respectively. And when there is a disturbance in the glands that produce the tears or imbalance in the tear system, the patient experiences dry eyes. Our eye specialist in Pune of Om Eye Care clinic lists out the causes, symptoms, and treatment methodologies that are available for dry eye syndrome.
It should be understood that dry eye syndrome is a chronic disease with progressive nature. Although it is not possible to cure it completely, it can be managed in most cases with modern medical technologies that usually results in better eye comfort, lesser symptoms, and even sharper vision.
People, who are otherwise perfectly hale and healthy, may get affected with dry eye syndrome. It becomes more common with age and also due to hormonal changes. Some of the common causes are enlisted below:
- Dry environment with very low humidity in living and working place
- Over exposure to sun
- Direct smoking or exposure to second hand smoking
- Prolonged straining of eye by looking at computer monitors
- Problems of eyelids
- Side effects due to medications
- Chemical or heat burns
- Previous surgeries on eyes
- An autoimmune disorder (very rare chances)
Depending upon the root cause of the problem, the symptoms do vary. The ophthalmologist of a best eye hospital in Pune insists that it is very important to understand the cause of the problem to achieve good results of treatment. Some of the noticeable symptoms associated with dry eye syndrome are:
- Sensitivity to light
- Scratchy or gritty feeling in the eye
- Vision blurredness
- Redness in eye
- Burning itchy sensation in the eye
- Abnormal and excessive tearing
Comprehensive eye examination with special stress on the qualitative and quantitative analysis of the production of tears is absolutely necessary. The treatment can be conducted through visual acuity measurement, slit lamp exam, osmolalilty, Schirmer’s test, and TBUT. Based on the diagnosis, the cause of problem is determined and subsequently the treatment plan is initiated.
There are several treatment avenues available for dry eye syndrome. As mentioned above, these treatments cannot completely cure it but only substantially decrease the symptoms and provide better comfort to the eyes.
- Artificial tears: The first and foremost treatment that is always provided is lubricating oils or artificial tears. These provide excellent remedy for cases with mild severity caused due to computer and reading. Based on the necessity, the drops are usually prescribed and if necessary, the frequency can be increased after discussing the problem with your eye specialist in Pune.
- It is always a good option to have daily supplements of fish oil and flaxseed oil to take care of dry eye symptoms that includes redness and burning of yes. It is believed that the fatty acids present in rich quantity makes these oils a good treatment option.
- Many a times, it is allergy or the cold medicines that trigger the symptoms. Doctors try to identify the source of allergy and may advice you to stay away from them.
- Punctal Plugs: These are used for dry eye treatment to regain tears on the eye surface.
- Many cases of dry eyes are caused due to insufficient secretion of meibum from meibomian glands and results in evaporate dry eye condition called meibomian gland dysfunction (MGD). The ophthalmic surgeon at Mahaveer, the best eye hospital in Pune conducts a simple procedure to rectify the problem.
- Alternatively, warm compresses to the closed eyelids may also be provided to de-clog the glands.
- Mild dry eye symptoms can be tackled by blinking more frequently.
All the treatment procedures need to be taken up under the supervision and prescription of a qualified ophthalmologist for any wrong treatment may damage the vision. The doctor’s recommendations needs to be strictly adhered to achieve successful results.